Friday, September 28, 2007

Sweater Stories: Finale (aka the Ugliest Sweater in the World)

They say (do they? they must) that there is no bad knitting. Some people say that there are no knitting police. That is definitely true. And true, too, that all knitting projects have value, that we can at least learn something from them. That is all kinds of true. And yeah, blahbityblahbityblah, everything is special and unique and wonderful.

But let's be honest, folks. This sweater looks like ass.

I mean, the knitting itself is not so bad. I'm actually a little proud of that (which is incredible, considering that I am seriously considering burning this sweater and denying all knowledge of it. Except that it's acrylic, so it would melt and make a big mess and then I would really sorry. Plus my roommates would kill me).


And yeah, I did a pretty good job of picking up stitches, and the raglan increases look pretty good.

But the rest of it? Oh dear god. For starters, the fit...I don't know what I was thinking, I really don't. It's way too big at the waist, and it sort of gaps goofily under the arms, and it's a really awkward length that is too long to be stylishly cropped and too short to be a real sweater.

Add that to the fact that this is the ugliest freaking yarn on the planet, and...


Yeah, so who wants a sweater?

Except no, I can't do that. Partly because I couldn't bear to inflict this monstrosity on anyone else, and partly because as ugly as it is, I did make and I'm (a little) proud of it. I guess it's condemned to to back of my closet, where I can bring it out and laugh at it occasionally.

I suppose comic value is better than no value at all.

No comments: