Monday, March 3, 2008

I'm not particularly proud of this

In the six weeks since my last post, I have made:
-one ridiculous hat, not worthy of display here. In what fit of dementia did I imagine that that hat wouldn't make me look like a life-sized Kewpie Doll, complete with stupid pointy head?
-negligible process on the first sleeve of my Gathered Pullover. I've got a great little system going where I knit four rounds, put it down, wander off for a week or two, forget how many rounds I've done since the last increase, rip back, knit four rounds...you can see where this goes.
-95% of a feather and fan scarf! Soon to be finished and blogged about, I hope.

Pretty pathetic, really. I do, however, have a new and inventive use for knitting needles! Say, for example, that you're a college student without access to a dishwasher. Say that one day you notice that your trusty Nalgene bottle is getting a little slimy and decide to give it a wash, except you're washing it in your dorm room sink with hand soap and you don't have any scrubbing tools, and you can't fit your hand into the bottle to scrub at the bottom. What you need, you think, is something long and skinny, maybe something you can use to push a rag around the bottom. Something long and skinny...hmmm...

Yeah, I did it.



Not quite the use Susan Bates had in mind, huh?



Clever and inventive? Or just disgusting? You decide.

So as not to finish on that note, here's a picture of that sleeve:



Pretty color, no?

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Yay, a post from Rita!

The other day I used one of my new size three wooden needles as a cake tester. I'm not proud either, but what can I say: I really needed to know if the cake was done! I will also keep this jar- and nalgene-cleaning method in mind for future use.

Also, this weekend I was home sick with the flu and I made a pair of enormous mittens. They're felted, and it turned out that a full-sized mitten doesn't shrink as much as an itty-bitty swatch does when you're hand-felting in the sink. (And I was *so* proud of myself for swatching.) I think they'll get a little smaller if I machine-felt... someday... when I live in a "civilized" country that has washing machines again...

Hope you're doing well! Can't wait to see the scarf!